Saturday, April 4, 2009

Temple Thoughts

It has been quite a while now since my visit to Draper Temple. I wanted some time to really dwell on my thoughts and feelings from my visit there before writing about it in depth. Snippets of time to really think in quiet solitude haven't been easy to come by of late, so it took a while before I was ready to make this post.

I think a brief reflection on my photography will help me explain my feelings from the Temple.

I took a course on photography once - a two day class. It is the only class on photography I've ever taken. One of the most significant things I took away from that class has had a profound effect on my entire life. My favorite instructor there showed us in a myriad ways why simplifying what we took photos of made the photos better.

Over the years since I took that course, I have seen the truth of it - my own photos have really gotten a lot better as I try to simplify what is in them. The more "clutter" in the photo, the more the viewer is distracted from the subject.

When I moved into my new house early this year, I sought to truly simplify my home, to declutter it, to maintain a non cluttered environment. It has REALLY helped me more than I can describe. For some reason, being surrounded by clutter is something that, for me, is VERY distracting, even depressing.

Something else I've worked hard at in my photography is to brighten things up. I don't mean artificially making it look bright or adding light where there wasn't any. Mostly I mean taking photos where I purposefully eliminate black areas that aren't lit. I found that, for me, light is something that I find uplifting in a photo. Darkness in a photo is gloomy, depressing. I have noticed clients having the same reaction to my photography when they notice how bright and uplifting (and simple) I strive to make my photos.

I explained all of this in photographic terms because it is something I can DESCRIBE. Without that background to draw from, I'm not sure my feeling from the Temple can actually be conveyed in words.

Some simple things about the Temple:

1. The Temple is very quiet.
2. The Temple is bright in the sense that there are mostly white walls and nice lighting on the walls.
3. The Temple is simple in that it doesn't have clutter, the rooms are very spacious and uncrowded.

The Temple is a lot more than those three things. But again, I don't know that I can communicate in words all that the Temple is.

Having a quiet, bright, clean, simple place to go be closer to God is a real gift. But those words only describe the physical aspects of the Temple. Spiritually, it is the same - it feels bright with the light of God, it seems quiet from the myriad voices in your head (the Spirit seems more easily able to speak to you), and it feels simple, none of the clutter of everyday life is there in the Temple.

So both physically and spiritually, the Temple is a place that feels extremely well suited to be close to God. And I saw all of this in an undedicated Temple tour. I haven't covenanted with God in a Temple yet. I haven't even set foot in a dedicated Temple yet. I can only IMAGINE what it must be like to be dressed in white, among others dressed in white, participating in Temple activities.

I look forward to the day I get married in Temple. I look forward to sealing my wife, my children, and myself together for all of eternity. I long to look into those reflecting mirrors with my children at my side, explaining to them just how long eternity is, as best I can, with the infinite reflections there to assist me.

The Temple is a truly wondrous place. Words cannot describe what the Temple is, what it does for us, or what it does for our Heavenly Father. I just know that the Temple is a place I very sincerely look forward to spending as much time as possible.

3 comments:

  1. The Temple is all those things, Joe...just as you described. It's hard to really pinpoint or describe everything because the temple is so much of a "feeling". How wonderful to have a place to go where you can truly be "still" and undistracted from the things of the world. When you actually do have the opportunity to go you will feel a "oneness" with God and the others there when you see everyone dressed the same as you. It gives you a little glimpse (there's that word again!) into how the Lord views his children. He loves us so much!

    Marriage in the temple is so sacred and special. It too, is also so different than the world that it's hard to describe. All I know is that you're going to love it and being able to seal your children to you for time and all eternity will be one of the truest joys you will ever feel!

    I am going to pray that that blessing will come sooner than later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, thank you so much. You and your family have been a real blessing to me. The more I get to know your husband, the more happy I am for the both of you that you found each other. You are both incredible people. Through your blog, I feel almost as though you and I have known each other for a very long time already.

    I appreciate your words about the Temple very much. I wrote this blog entry before hearing all the references to the Temple in the conference talks, but I feel even more strongly about the Temple than I did when I wrote the post. I have so much to learn and look forward to in this Church, it is a real blessing in my life.

    I also very sincerely appreciate your prayer for this blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verx, you are awesome! Karl and I also hope that you will find someone that you will love enough to want to be married for eternity. Our temple marriage was the best thing that ever happened for BOTH of us and our little son now. How amazing that you will know one day that no matter what happens on this earth you will be together. What a comfort in an increasingly wicked world. You are a great dad and your kids are so lucky to have you and to have the church in their lives now.

    Just keep reading the scriptures, go to church and pray. It is the simple things that will help you get to your goal.

    We look forward to seeing you soon, and your photography analogy is absolutely perfect. It is the simplicty of the temple that makes it so amazing. Thank you for sharing your feelings.

    How did you like conference?!?

    ReplyDelete