Monday, March 9, 2009

Mosiah Chapter Four

I have been reading from Mosiah today. I have made it to Chapter 12, but my mind keeps going back to Chapter 4. I feel powerfully that Chapter 4 is a very plain and simple message to us from King Benjamin of PRECISELY what we are to do.

The chapter is a mere 30 verses long and yet to me the message is so clear, so plain, so very compelling and True that I feel this chapter deserves my attention on a regular basis. I think I need to read this chapter at least once a month, as a reminder of what it is that we are to do on this earth.

King Benjamin was a Righteous man. He lived his life justly, treated his people well, he toiled beside them, he did not overtax them. In his final days, he was visited by an angel from God (Mosiah Chapter 3). He is told by the angel that Jesus is coming, and what will happen to Jesus. He is told about the atonement. He is told how, through the atonement, we can follow specific steps to reach salvation.

Mosiah Chapter 4, 6-8

"6. I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body--"

Here we have in but a single verse the explanation of what we must do to receive salvation!

1. Come to a knowledge of: the goodness of God,
2. of God's matchless power,
3. of God's wisdom,
4. of God's patience,
5. of God's long-suffering towards the children of men;
6. Knowledge of the atonement,
7. that he who puts his trust in the Lord shall come to salvation,
8. that we must keep his commandments diligently,
9. and finally, that we must continue in the faith until death

"7. I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world."

Here, we learn that the man who does what is prescribed in the previous verse is the man who receives salvation. That he does so through the atonement. That ALL of us received this opportunity for salvation - everyone since the time of Adam.

"8. And this is the means whereby salvation cometh. And there is none other salvation save this which hath been spoken of; neither are there any conditions whereby man can be saved except the conditions which I have told you."

And HERE we learn that this description of how to receive salvation is the only means there is. There are no other conditions whereby man can be saved.

He gives us a wealth more information about what we must do in this chapter. Another section really stood out to me as he talked about a beggar asking for help:

"17. Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just--"
"18. But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God."

We see very clearly here just how important it is to help our fellow man. How easy it is for us to see someone in need and think our day is too busy or our burden too heavy. I intend to strive to remember this as I go about each day. Truly we know that none of us can help all in the world, but I think also that we all know we can do more than we already do.

And finally, the last verse of Chapter 4, it really drives home just how important it is to remember this (and it drives home just how important it is for me to re-read this chapter periodically).

"30. But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not."

"And now, O man, remember, and perish not."

I shall strive to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment