Friday, May 8, 2009

A Busy Spirit

Life has been a real blur of late - things are really picking up and moving along.

I was blessed to have been told about a charity concert for the Nielsons, a family that has been struck by much tragedy ( http://www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com ). I bought a ticket and went to the concert and it was really amazing. SO many people volunteered their time to help this family, it was just a very touching experience. I've been working on a video of the concert because Stephanie Nielson couldn't be there (she was having surgery). I took some video footage while I was there (it was my first time really ever shooting video), and was very fortunate to get some clean audio tracks of the event to mix in. Currently I have the audio synced up to the video (that took a little doing) and am waiting on some video footage from someone else that shot video there. Hopefully I'll have that soon. Once I have everything together, I'll probably post some highlights here for anyone interested.

One of the people I met at the concert was Debbie West Coon ( http://www.debbiewestcoon.com ). She put in so much time organizing the event, finding artists to contribute, and generally making it happen that she didn't even have time to practice much (if at all) herself before going on stage. She has a really beautiful voice! She was interested in a music video and although I told her I was new to video (I have been a professional photographer for years now though), she is still interested. I'll be doing it for free, for two reasons - for one, I am certainly not a professional videographer (yet!), and for another, I really felt that after all the work she put into making the charity a reality that she deserved something in return! I am really looking forward to working on this with her! :)

Speaking of music, I have story boarded (ie, made crude sketches of what I want to film) the video for the song I wrote last month. I've contacted several models and am working on getting some initial video footage to start working with. I bought the lens and steadycam equipment I will need for filming this. So far I have received the lens, still waiting on the steadycam equipment (it should arrive next week). I am really getting excited about this! I think for my first draft I'll just film the scenes, cut them together, and then put some generic background music to go with it. Then I'll have the words come up as the video progresses. Maybe by taking that video to some musicians and singers I can find some people to make my vision a reality.

To that end, I've been teaching myself Adobe Premiere for the last few weeks so that I can do some video cut work and audio sync work as well. This has been a huge learning experience for me since I haven't really ever been into video until now.

I took my literally very first video footage I had shot with the new camera (taken at Easter) along with some photos I took at Easter and put together a very short (one minute) video to teach myself how to put photos and video together in a movie. I tried to have the photos appear in rhythm with the music and I think that worked out pretty well. The two kids in the video are my beautiful children, who I love and adore with all my heart.

If your computer can handle it, this is the HD version of the video: HD version

High quality version (a little lower cpu requirement): high quality

Minimum quality version, should work on any computer and even some cell phones: minimum quality

In other news, I have been very blessed in my experiences with the Spirit. Some recent activity would be that I have received the Aaronic Priesthood and began blessing the Sacrament. Since I have been recently Baptized, blessing the Sacrament to me is an act of extreme importance and something I took very seriously each time I performed it. I had noticed that some of the people that blessed the Sacrament had done so for so long that the words just seemed to rush out of their mouths as they said them. I have felt that one of the things I bring uniquely to my ward is a fresh look at things that may have become "normal" to others. When I gave the blessing at Easter time I felt it was even more important, so as I had done before, I put my heart into how I said the words aloud and I really felt the Spirit as I did so. Later in the Sacrament meeting, a fellow ward member that was speaking to everyone present mentioned that it had touched him how I had said the words. I have to admit it felt very good to know that I wasn't the only one that felt the Spirit as I said those very important words!

My calling is to be a ward Missionary, which I have to say really felt good. I had frankly no concept whatsoever of what my calling would be, but this really seemed a good fit to me. I have gone out twice now as a Missionary and it was a very rewarding experience both times.

I have also been reading more about the Melchizedek Priesthood, as I am go receive this priesthood later this month. The more I learn about it, the more blessed I feel to be able to receive this Priesthood. I now realize what I can provide for my children that I could not have ever given them if I had not found this Church! I count my Blessings now so many times a day it amazes me.

I have also found out about Patriarchal Blessings. When I heard what they were and realized that most everyone I knew in the Mormon Church had had one for so many years of their life to help guide them on their way, I truly knew I needed to take the steps to obtain one of my own. As it turns out, no sooner had I gotten my recommend that the Stake Patriarch had to go out of town. He will be returning this very weekend, and I so very much look forward to receiving my Patriarchal Blessing on Sunday!

I am also now finally able to go to the Temple with a limited-use recommend. I look forward to being able to be of service to those that need my help there.

There are so many parts of my life that are coming together right now, both Spiritually and Temporally. It has been an interesting journey to realize that the closer my Spirit gets to God, the more in line my Temporal being gets in terms of a balanced life.

I've been a very busy person in the last month, and things look to be getting even busier in the future, but this journey I am on - it is a very good one. I have had four occasions in just the last month at firesides where a speaker has touched me so very much with the message they had to provide. When I think about how much I gain from going to Church and firesides it really helps me realize that making the time is a simple thing to do if you have your priorities straight. :)

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful you are able to help the Nielsen family. I would have loved to go to that concert. {I am glad you did!} It's such a touching story.

    Also, I was touched by you blessing the sacrament as well. I could tell you were really blessing it from your heart. Thank you so much for your example.

    Lastly, I can't wait for you to get your patriarchal blessing! That is one of the neatest experiences EVER you will have in the church. It will be a powerful confirmation that the Lord loves you and is mindful of you indivually.

    You continue to amaze both Bill and I with your sensitive spirit and desires to do ALL THAT IS GOOD! We really admire you. You continue to teach us so much.

    Oh and the video was so sweet of your children. I loved it~

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concert was really amazing. At the end, Mr. Nielson came out to thank everyone for their support, and he was so overcome with emotion it took him nearly a minute to be able to say the words.

    My Patriarchal Blessing yesterday was absolutely amazing. I couldn't believe how much information he imparted to me! I had hoped to just remember it all, but there was no way. So I really need to wait for it to come in the mail so that I can pour over all the myriad details. :)

    I'm glad you liked the video. I love my kids so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete