Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Spirit of Companionship

Finding my path in this life has been a true and wondrous blessing.

I ended my night at Church with another amazing fireside tonight. I have been so very very fortunate to have had specific messages sent to me from each fireside I have been to. Tonight was no exception. I was touched deeply by their message and afterwards, I thanked the couple that spoke. As I shook their hands, I could feel the Spirit inside them.

The husband shook my hand and took some extra time to talk with me. He looked deep into my eyes, grabbed my shoulder with force and told me that he could see that I was touched by the Spirit. He told me that he knew if I followed the clean path that good things would happen to me. I confess I don't remember every individual word he spoke, but it was as if we spoke spirit to spirit. He really touched my soul, and I could feel the truth of what he said in the core of my very being.

I have been extremely fortunate to have found some incredible friends in the Church. I cannot describe in words how just seeing them in Church fills me with joy and happiness - knowing that they are there to hear the message of our Heavenly Father, that they too are on the path. Seeing a dear friend walking in and out of the sacrament meeting with her lovely new baby. Knowing that as much as I wish she could stay there next to her husband, daughters and son that she is still able to hear from outside the main room. Seeing either of two policemen that I have grown to respect and care about because of the difficulties they struggle with in their lives. Seeing a man who I have known only a short while but who seems to get closer to the Spirit each Sunday.

There are so many people there now, that I know little tidbits about. Things that make them a bit more my brothers and sisters. Whether it be hurts they have experienced or joys that have happened, children they are proud of, whatever it might be - I see them, and I know a little of their journey down this path we call life.

Some of them have been praying for me. Some have been looking out for me. Some just wish me well. On Sundays it is as if I can feel each one of those individual prayers and well wishes falling upon me and caressing my spirit. This has gone on for a long while now.

And there has been fruit borne of these many prayers and well wishes. I had prayed to find someone to spend time with. For a time, I tried to envision what sort of person my prayer could possibly manifest, and my only conclusion was a horrific one unfortunately.

What lady could there possibly be, that had been raised in the Church, had gone on a mission, had a sense of humor and common interests to my own? What lady could there possibly be that was all of those things and had not married? I concluded with certainty that there could be none. To my dismay, the only such lady I could envision would be one that had been married, and sadly was a widow. And I could not bring myself to wish for someone to be widowed. So, for a time, I thought that I would have to move beyond the veil to find what my heart longed for.

But some time ago, a friend heard of someone that I might be interested in. They arranged for me to get in touch with her. I wrote to her, I spoke with her on the phone, and she seemed extremely enjoyable. We had a good time talking, even on spiritual subjects.

We met and I was overjoyed to find that she was not only beautiful, but intelligent, had an excellent sense of humor, and I really began to notice some common interests.

Another outing and we found ourselves talking until past midnight. I thoroughly enjoy talking to her. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I haven't known her for years - she is so easy to talk to and have fun with, that it is easy to be fooled into thinking we have known each other for a long long time.

I don't know precisely where this will lead, but I know my spirit is happy to have found a companion to talk to and spend some time with. I look forward to going to the Temple with her, to going to Church with her, and to talking more with her.

The spirit of companionship for me is having someone with which to share my feelings. Talking with someone that I enjoy listening to as much as I enjoy sharing stories with. Spending time with someone that can have a good time when it is so dark out that we can scarcely even see the outlines of what we are there to look at (we were at a bird sanctuary WELL past sunset and still had a blast! :). Someone with whom I am happier.

I have found such a person, and my heart is filled with joy for having found them.

In 1 Nephi, Chapter 8, verse 14, Lehi is standing at the Tree of Life. It reads: "...I beheld your Mother Sariah, and Sam, and Nephi; and they stood as if they knew not whither they should go."

And verse 16: "And it came to pass that they did come unto me and partake of the fruit also."

I read those words for the first time months ago now. From the very first reading, I have heard a strong voice inside my heart that I need to find a companion. Even from that time, I knew that the only way I would find that companion was to grab hold of the iron rod and to follow the path to the tree.

In Lehi's case, he was standing at the tree waiting for Sariah to join him.

In the story that is my life, I think Sariah has been waiting at the tree for Lehi.

2 comments:

  1. CHILLS! Total CHILLS, Joe! I am so very, very, very happy for you and this new development. THE LORD IS SO MINDFUL OF YOU! I know you know that, but it's just a reminder to me that HE IS ABOUT HIS BUSINESS, and HE IS ABOUT BRINGING JOY TO HIS SONS AND DAUGHTERS! I cannot wait to meet her. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, she is so awesome! She teaches middle school and she is a Young Women's leader (for more than one Ward I think actually) and is just all around a good time.

    I can't wait for you to meet her either. :)

    ReplyDelete