Monday, June 1, 2009

Selfless Service

I was doing some web searching the other day on something COMPLETELY different, and accidentally found this post: Selfless Service. Initially I was going to just skip over it since it was clearly NOT what I was searching for, but then I decided to read it anyway. I am glad I did.

"Later, the bishop said he had talked to the young people and they had caught the vision and spirit of our previous conversation. They wanted to sacrifice their adventure trip and donate all the money to the general missionary fund. They asked if they could come and bring the check and have their picture taken with me as they made the donation, and could they have the picture and an article put into the news?

I surprised him again. I said no. Then I said, “You might consider helping your young people learn a higher law of recognition. Recognition from on high is silent. It is carefully and quietly recorded there. Let them feel the joy and gain the treasure in their heart and soul that come from silent, selfless service.”
"

When I first read that portion, I was really taken aback. These young kids in the Church had given up an adventure trip for which they had worked hard to obtain money and were instead going to give the money to the general missionary fund. This was truly a selfless act. Seemingly all they wanted was to have a photo taken with the person that had instilled this idea in them. Why would he deny them even that?

I think our youth need positive reinforcement. I think they need more than ONLY selfless service, more than ONLY doing things for others. Over time they will learn the benefits of doing things for others and will do so without a need for personal recognition. So I think what happened here with these children, if they understood it, was likely a very positive experience. I hope their parents talked with them about it and explained whatever they might not have initially understood.

There is a message in this for all of us, myself most definitely included. I know when I do things for others selflessly and get no acknowledgement of it, that I am filled with a sense of fulfillment. I also know that I don't do this often enough. I am planning to take steps to do more selfless service for my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment